Today I’m sharing by favorite scratch Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe with you! You need this recipe in your life. There is SO much flavor happening in every slice! This cake recipe is a must for the season. Just look at that gorgeous color…
I love the comforting flavors that go hand-in-hand with autumn baking. Apples and cinnamon, caramel, spice cakes and pumpkin…ahhhh. I could go on and on.
I don’t know if it’s the gorgeous, vibrant colors of the trees or the welcome chill in the air, or the return of “cozy” seasonal baking that makes autumn my favorite season of all. (Actually, I’m pretty sure it has to do with the cozy baking.)
We have a few fall favorites in our Recipes Section, but this delicious homemade Pumpkin Spice Cake from scratch tops my list. It’s the perfect blend of spices & pumpkin…it is tender and flavorful, extremely moist, and with our spiced cream cheese frosting, there is just nothing better!
If you’ve been searching for a wonderful homemade pumpkin spice cake recipe–I’m happy to tell you that THIS is the one!
Pumpkin Cake (Scratch Recipe)
- 2 3/4 cups (360g.) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
- 2 teaspoons (6g) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons (2g) nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) (170g) unsalted butter - do not soften in the microwave - I cut mine into 1/2 inch slices onto waxed paper on the countertop, leaving out only 5 to 6 minutes, you do not want it to be too soft. If it does get too soft refrigerate for a few minutes.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (54g) vegetable oil
- 1 can (15oz/425g) pumpkin ( not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup (121 g) milk
- 1 teaspoons (6g) vanilla extract
For the Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) (382 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 packages (339 g) cream cheese (no need to soften to room temp)
- 2 teaspoons (4g) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (1g) nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (2g) *sift if clumpy
- 6 - 6 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla extract
- (This recipe uses the reverse creaming method.)Preheat oven to 350. Grease & flour three 8 inch pans.
- In your mixing bowl add the dry ingredients (flour and the next seven ingredients). With the mixer on low speed, mix the dry ingredients for 30 seconds so all will be well blended. Add the pieces of butter a few slices at a time. Mix until the dry ingredients are moistened by the butter and look like coarse sand. If you pinch some of the mixture between your fingers it will stick together. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- In another bowl combine eggs, oil, pumpkin, milk and vanilla. Whisk until well blended, set aside.
- Method is important in this recipe so with the mixer on LOW speed, SLOWLY add approximately 1/2 of the egg mixture. Increase to medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape bottom and sides of the bowl. Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 pourings, beating 20 seconds after each addition.
- Bake at 350 degrees 30 - 35 minutes, let cool in pans 10 minutes then turn out.
To Prepare the Frosting
- Using your mixer beat the butter and cream cheese until well blended. Add the vanilla and spices. With the mixer on low speed gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until it is a good piping consistency.
We hope that you enjoy this fantastic homemade Pumpkin Spice Cake recipe! I promise, it’s the only scratch Pumpkin Spice Cake recipe that you’ll ever need.
If you are a fan of doctored cake mix recipes, we have an amazing Pumpkin Spice Cake-Doctored Mix Recipe to share! So easy to make and packed with all pumpkin and spiced goodness!