Fall Wreath Cake Tutorial
We just love fall themed cakes, and in today's video tutorial, we're going to show you how to make a beautiful Fall Wreath Cake that would be perfect for Thanksgiving and fall celebrations.
Table of Contents
Why we Love It
There are so many reasons to love this fall wreath cake! Here are just a few:
- Super easy to make no matter what your skill level of cake decorating.
- Great for a Thanksgiving Cake Design, fall birthday cake idea, and more
- A great way to decorate for any size of cake
- Can easily be changed up to incorporate different colors or to create an all-buttercream design.
Today's fall wreath cake is a great addition to our free cake video tutorial section, with its pumpkins, acorns, and wildflowers. We hope that you enjoy it!
How to Make a Fall Wreath Cake
You can find our cake video tutorial and printable how-to instructions further down in this post. Here is a quick rundown of our steps!
This simple design is great no matter what your skill level of cake decorating- and you have all sorts of fun options for adding additional color, flowers, leaves, and texture.
- First, we frosted our 8 inch cake with cinnamon buttercream.
- Next, we textured the freshly frosted buttercream using a small tapered offset spatula.
- Using a small round piping tip 4, we piped strands of brown buttercream frosting to create the first layer of our wreath on top of the cake (it has a grapevine wreath look).
- Next, we created simple pumpkin and acorn fondant accents.
- Add green leaves using a piping tip 352 and tip 366, as well as chrysanthemums with a tip 80, and other small flowers and dots using a small round piping tip.
We have so many fall cakes for you to try- don't miss these other favorite fall cake recipes and designs!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Don't miss our huge collection of favorite cake recipes (including cake recipes from scratch as well as cake mix recipes)! We also have tons of free cake decorating video tutorials for you!
You can find our full roundup of favorites here: 50+ of Our Favorite Fall Cake Recipes and Designs!
- *This is a three layer 8 inch cake, frosted in cinnamon buttercream (this is classic vanilla buttercream frosting with about 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon added.)
- Vanilla Buttercream for accents
- Coloring Gels: Americolor Avocado Green + Leaf Green, Lemon yellow, Orange, Chocolate Brown
- Piping Tips: Tip 2, 4, 80 (chrysanthemums), Wilton leaf tips 366, 352,
- Fondant (we kneaded in a little tylose powder to speed up the setting time).
- Small tapered spatula for texture around the sides of the cake
- Piping gel (adhesive for pumpkin stems)
- vegetable shortening (helpful in reducing stickiness when working with fondant)
- Everclear, vodka, or lemon extract (used to combine with orange coloring gel for painting our pumpkins)
- Miscellaneous: Bench scraper and turntable (helpful for frosting the cake), disposable piping bags, toothpick or tool of choice for adding texture to acorn, small paint brushes, artist palette or small plate, cake cardboard cut to the size of the tier & your base/pedestal of choice
- Frost your tier with cinnamon buttercream. (We frosted an 8 inch tier)
- Texture the freshly frosted buttercream using a small tapered offset spatula.
- Create the piped brown buttercream wreath using a round tip 4. This gives the look of a grapevine wreath and it is the first layer of our design.
- Create the fondant accents- fondant pumpkins, etc.
- Add green leaves using a piping tip 352 and tip 366, as well as chrysanthemums with a tip 80, and small flowers using a small round piping tip.