Love lemon? You are going to fall in love with this homemade Lemon Curd Filling Recipe! It has a wonderful silky smooth consistency and flavor with just the PERFECT amount of lemon.
Lemon curd pairs wonderfully with white cakes, yellow cakes, and coconut cakes, but my FAVORITE is with our homemade Lemon Cake! I just love lemon desserts, and everything about this filling is pure heaven. You will also love how easily this light and flavorful recipe comes together!
For cupcakes, try injecting the lemon curd into the unfrosted cupcakes with a disposable piping bag! I usually use a tip 12 for this. Just insert the bag into the top of the cupcake and give it a little squeeze. Instant added awesomeness! Top off your cupcakes with a swirl of Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (linked below) for an amazing dessert.
Enjoy the recipe!
Lemon Curd Filling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespooon grated lemon zest
- 4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil (3-4 minutes). Boil, stirring, for 1 minute more.. Remove the pan from the heat. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into a small bowl with egg yolks and stir quickly until combined. Continue stirring, while pouring the egg mixture back into the saucepan. Return pan to medium heat and cook, stirring, until the curd is thickened and lemon colored (1-2 min). Remove from heat and stir in the butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest.-- Let the lemon curd cool, then press plastic wrap onto the surface, this will prevent a skin from forming on the top. Refrigerate.
- * This will fill a two layer 8 or 9 inch cake with some leftover. The recipe can be halved.
- * I have refrigerated the lemon curd for a week and it was fine....I'm not sure how long it will keep beyond that
- Makes 1 1/4 cups
Attention Lemon Lovers: Make sure to try our tried and true Lemon Cake Recipe from scratch! This is one of our most popular scratch cake recipes!
If you are looking for a great lemon frosting to go along with this amazing lemon curd filling, our Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is perfect! I’ve never met a cream cheese frosting recipe that I didn’t love, but there’s just something about the Lemon-Cream Cheese flavor combination that is out of this world!
Thanks for stopping by! Make sure to check out our Recipes section for more of our FAVORITE cake, frosting, and filling recipes!