Today we're going to share a fantastic lime curd recipe with you! There's nothing like a silky, flavorful fruit curd filling for injecting into cupcakes or sandwiching in between cake layers.
We used this delicious Lime Curd recipe as a filling in our homemade Lime Cake recipe, but keep it in mind for any dessert that would benefit from a flavor boost of refreshing lime flavor (from white cakes to lemon or coconut)!
How to Make Lime Curd
There's more than one way to make a delicious curd filling, but most of our favorite recipes involve combining zest, juice &/or water, sugar, egg yolks, butter, and cornstarch as a thickener.
The ingredients are simple, but the end result is so luscious and indulgent, you'll want to spread it on everything from cakes and sweet breads to your morning toast!
- To make the lime curd, we first combined sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan, and add the water. Stirring constantly, we heated the mixture until it began to bubble.
- We then spooned part of the hot mixture into a bowl with the egg yolks and stirred to combine. We then added this back to the saucepan.
- Once ready, we removed the saucepan from heat and added the butter, lime juice, and lime zest. Allow the lime curd to cool before using!
- (Find the full, detailed recipe below)
Looking for more Fruit Curd Fillings? Here are a few favorites!
- We've used a delicious Lemon Curd filling for our Lemon Cake and Coconut Lemon Cake. If you love lemon desserts, don't miss this easy recipe!
- Our Lemon Orange Cake recipe wouldn't be the same without our easy Orange Curd Filling (The orange curd video also includes a recipe post!)
*The options are endless. Citrus fruits make for wonderful fruit curd fillings! Have fun experimenting!
Why is this Lime Curd Yellow?
The color in curd fillings comes mainly from the egg yolks. This is why most curd fillings are a lovely shade of yellow.
The yellow makes sense when you're making a lemon or pineapple curd, but for lime curd filling, you may have been expecting a shade of green.
You can tint your lime curd with a touch of green coloring gel if you'd like, but I prefer the shade just as it is, speckled with bits of green lime zest.
We hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as we have! If you've never tried a fruit curd filling, you are missing out! They are really easy to make and the taste is just heaven!
Enjoy the Recipe!
We hope that you enjoy the recipe! If you give it a try, we would love for you to leave a comment below!
Lime Curd Filling
Silky, smooth and EASY lime curd filling for cakes and cupcakes!
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (30g) cornstarch (cornflour in UK)
- 1 cup (236g) water
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon grated lime zest
- 4 Tablespoons (55g) lime juice
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan, pour in water. Over medium heat, stir the mixture constantly until it thickens and comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, remove the pan from the heat.
- Spoon about ½ cup of the hot mixture into a small bowl containing the egg yolks and stir quickly until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan. Return pan to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, approximately 1 min. The mixture will thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter, lime juice and lime zest. Cool before using.
Sounds delish! :-) I love citrus of all sorts. Going to try it.
Does it thicken right away or as it cools?