Oh how I love Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting! There are so many cakes and cupcakes that just beg for this deliciousness: Red Velvet, Carrot, Spice, Pumpkin, Apple, Strawberry, Lemon, and on and on!
We’ve been swirling & filling our cupcakes and cakes with this frosting for years but as is often the case with Cream Cheese Frosting, it is a bit on the soft side.
If you need a thicker consistency, you can add a bit more powdered sugar. If the frosting becomes softer in your piping bag as you work with it, you can refrigerate it for a few minutes to firm things up.
We have another Pipeable Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe that we love also. This Cream Cheese Frosting has a thicker consistency, but does require more cream cheese frosting per recipe. It’s always good to have options!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 sticks (1 cup) (226 g) unsalted butter, let it sit out approximately 10 minutes. It should feel very cool to the touch.
- 2 (8oz) packages cream cheese (total weight 452g) I use full fat cream cheese. Using reduced fat or the spreadable cream cheese will cause the frosting to be too soft. Do not soften the cream cheese.
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2g) optional - it will cut the sweetness, popcorn salt is best to use because it is fine and dissolves faster
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups (690g to 747g) powdered sugar
- Cut the butter into slices and add to the bowl of your mixer. Beat on low to medium speed until the butter is softened and smooth.
- Cut the cold cream cheese into pieces and add to the butter, beating at low to medium speed until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar beating on low speed until blended. Cover the bowl with a towel to keep down the cloud of powdered sugar.
- Increase mixing speed and beat until fluffy. Don't over beat.
- This frosting will pipe best if used while still chilled. You can make it in advance, refrigerate and when ready to use let it soften slightly (do not microwave) and remix.
- Will frost a 3 layer 8 or 9 inch cake.
Did you know that we have another Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe? You may also like this Pipeable Cream Cheese Frosting, which contains even more cream cheese and therefore is a bit firmer. We love them both!