If you love cherry desserts, this Cherry Layer Cake is sure to become a favorite! The best part of this moist and flavorful layer cake is that it is so easy to make- it all starts with a white cake mix.
We love scratch cake recipes as well as doctored cake mix recipes. We’ve had a scratch version of cherry cake (as well as cherry chocolate chip cake) for years in our Recipes Section– and are so happy to add this doctored cherry cake recipe as well!
The moistness, texture and flavor of this cherry cake mix recipe give it a made-from-scratch feel. Although we are starting with a simple white cake mix, all of the add-ins really make all of the difference.
Today’s cake consists of three cherry cake layers filled with a luscious cherry cream cheese frosting– I love cherry cakes year-round, but especially in the spring and summer months. Keep this delicious cherry cake in mind for birthdays, showers, potlucks, or just because!
How to Make a Cherry Layer Cake
You can find the full, printable Doctored Cake Mix Cherry Cake recipe below, but here is a quick rundown of our steps!
Assembling the Cherry Layer Cake
Place the first cooled layer onto your cake plate or pedestal. Brush with a little maraschino cherry juice. This step is an easy way to add an instant boost of cherry flavor.
Spread with cherry cream cheese frosting- repeat for the next two cake layers.
Frost the cake with cherry cream cheese frosting- I created a spiral in my buttercream using a rounded offset spatula. I started in the top center of the frosted cake and spiraled outward as a rotated the cake on a turntable. Then, I frosted around the sides of the cake with a little texture and added a bottom border as well as stars on top using a 2D piping tip.
I added maraschino cherries on top.
We hope that you enjoy this easy Cherry Cake recipe! Please leave a comment and photo below if you give it a try!
Other Doctored Cake mixes to try
- Carrot Cake- Doctored Mix Recipe
- Chocolate Chip Cake- Doctored Mix Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake (Cake Mix Recipe)
- Elvis Presley Cake
- Gingerbread Cake- Doctored Cake Mix
- Hummingbird Cake- Doctored Mix
- Lemon Cake- Doctored Cake Mix
- Margarita Cake- Cake Mix Recipe
- Peanut Butter Cake- Doctored Cake Mix Recipe
- Pink Champagne Cake- Doctored Mix
For the Cherry Cake
- 1 box (15.25 oz) white cake mix, sifted, we used Duncan Hines
- 1 cup (114g) all purpose flour (plain in the UK)
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (242g) sour cream (we use full fat sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (4g) cherry extract - see Notes below for substitution
- 2 Tablespoons (13g) vegetable oil (we use canola oil)
- 1 (16oz) Jar Maraschino Cherries. We'll use 2/3 cup of the cherry juice (reserve the remaining juice for brushing onto layers).
- 1/3 cup of milk
- Maraschino cherries from the jar of cherries-- approximately 1/2 cup or 18 cherries finely chopped- reserve additional cherries for decoration on top.
- *Pink coloring gel for additional color - optional. (If using jello instead of extract you won't need the coloring).
For the Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 sticks (1 cup) (226g) unsalted butter (slightly softened)
- 2( 8oz.) packages cream cheese (total weight 452g) slightly softened --
- use full fat cream cheese. Using reduced fat or the spreadable cream
- cheese will cause the frosting to be too soft. Do not soften the cream cheese in the microwave
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (4g) cherry extract
- 6 to 61/2 cups (690g to 747g) powdered sugar
- Wilton Rose Gel Color, optional - I used a very small amount, putting the color on a toothpick to add to the frosting.
For the Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour 3 (8x2 inch) round pans
In the bowl of your mixer, add the dry ingredients and whisk at least 30 seconds to blend. If using cherry jell-o powder instead of cherry extract, add now.
Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix on medium speed for 1 to 2 more minutes ( a little
longer if using a hand mixer). Add the chopped cherries during the last minute of mixing.
Pour into prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Check at 25 minutes, with a toothpick inserted into the center, when it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached, it is done.
Cool in the pans 5 to 10 minutes then turn out.
Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
Cut the slightly softened butter into slices and add to the bowl of your mixer. Beat on low to medium speed until the butter is softened and smooth.
Cut the softened cream cheese into pieces and add to the butter, beating at low to medium speed until incorporated.
Add the vanilla and cherry extract. Gradually add the powdered sugar beating on low speed until blended (cover bowl with a towel to keep a cloud of powdered sugar from floating over your kitchen).
Add the gel color at this point, increase mixing speed to low to medium and beat until fluffy, don't over beat. Over mixing will make your frosting too soft. You may need to chill the frosting 10 to 15 minutes until it is the spreading consistency you like.
If piping with the frosting, you will need to chill a short while. You can make it in advance, refrigerate and when ready to use, let it soften slightly then remix. Do Not Soften in the Microwave.
Assembling the Cake
Place the first cooled cake layer onto your cake plate or pedestal.
Using a pastry brush, lightly apply maraschino cherry juice onto the cake layer. Just a light coating is enough. Spread with a layer of cherry cream cheese frosting- I stop about 1/4 inch from the edge of the cake.
Apply the next cake layer, brush on the cherry juice, and repeat. Add the final cake layer, and frost the cake with cherry cream cheese frosting. I like to freeze the cake for about 10-15 minutes after crumb coating and then apply the final coat. If the cream cheese frosting is too soft, chill to firm it up.
I applied the frosting with a bit of swirly texture. I added a spiral to the top of the cake with my offset spatula by starting in the center of the cake and then spiral out as I rotated the cake on a turntable. I then added stars around the top edge of the cake with a 2D piping tip and topped each star with a maraschino cherry.
- If you cannot use cherry extract, substitute with 3 Tablespoons (36g) Cherry Jell-O
- Makes 8 cups batter
- Works well for cupcakes, for standard size cupcakes bake at 350 degrees, 18 - 20 min.
- Do not mix over medium speed
- If you do not want to chop the cherries by hand, you can use a food processor, a blender might liquify the cherries. Finely chopped cherries are less likely to sink to the bottom as the cake bakes.
More Favorite Cake Recipes for Spring and Summer
Spring and summer celebrations call for cakes that are light, fruity, and flavorful! Here are just a few of our favorites- you can find our full roundup here: Favorite Spring and Summer Cakes
…and so many more!
My Cake School Online Cake Tutorials and Cake Recipes
Don’t miss our full collection of tried and true cake and frosting recipes in our Recipes Section! Whether you’re searching for scratch recipes, doctored cake mixes, fruity cakes, chocolate cakes, spice cakes, vanilla cakes, and more- we have something for you!
You can also find fun cake projects in ourFree Tutorials Section which includes our Free Cake Video section. If you are interested in accessing our entire collection of hundreds of cake decorating tutorials, you should consider becoming a member of My Cake School!
Memberships are $30/year and will give you online access to every cake video we’ve made over the past 10+ years. You can find all of the details here: Joining Information for My Cake School. We would love to have you!