Oh how we LOVE this amazing Cherry Cake recipe from scratch! We are so happy to have another tried & true homemade recipe for our collection of favorite cakes.
I love light, fruit flavored cakes any time of the year, but especially in the spring and summer. This versatile and flavorful recipe deserves a place in your recipe box!
While we’ve included SO many favorite fruity cakes in our Recipes Section, don’t overlook this amazing homemade Cherry Cake! It just might become a new favorite.
This moist scratch Cherry Cake recipe is tender, flavorful, and is the prettiest shade of pink! It is sturdy enough for fondant, and makes beautiful cupcakes also. I love a cake recipe with a little versatility!
Chopped maraschino cherries, cherry juice, and a splash of cherry extract lend a beautiful shade of pink to this homemade cake as well as a flavor that is just perfect!
Frost or drizzle this delightful Cherry Cake with decadent chocolate ganache for a “Chocolate Covered Cherry” cake, coat it with luxurious Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting, or add a bit of cherry extract to your favorite vanilla buttercream!
- 3 cups (342g) cake flour plus 2 Tablespoons for dusting cherries
- 1Tablespoon (15g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) salt
- 6 egg whites (180g)
- 2/3 cup (146g) cherry juice from a 10 ounce bottle of maraschino cherries, if there is not enough juice to reach 2/3's cup add water or milk
- 3/4 cup (172g) milk
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (4g) cherry extract
- 1/4 cup (54g) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (226g) unsalted butter, slightly softened but still cold to the touch
- maraschino cherries from a 10 ounce jar (use all) chopped and dusted with 2 Tablespoons flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour 3 (8 inch) round pans
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt for at least 30 seconds
- In another bowl, add the egg whites, cherry juice, milk, vanilla and cherry extract, and vegetable oil. Blend together with a fork
- In the bowl of your mixer add the butter and beat at medium speed to soften. Add the sugar and continue to beat until lightened in color and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes, longer if using a hand mixer.
- Add approximately 1/2 of the flour mixture to the bowl, mixing on low speed until just blended. Add half of the wet ingredients and blend. Continue alternating the dry and wet ingredients (ending with dry) until blended. Do not over beat.
- Reserve approximately 2 Tablespoons chopped cherries. Gently stir the remaining chopped cherries into the batter.
- Once the batter is in the cake pans, sprinkle the reserved cherries over the top of the batter, and using a toothpick push them just slightly below the surface of the cake batter. Even though the flour is supposed to keep the cherries from sinking to the bottom of the pan, I find that most will, so this is my reason for adding a few to the top.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, when the cake springs back to the touch or a toothpick pulls out clean or with only a few crumbs attached, the cake is done.
- 7 1/2 cups cake batter
- Works well for cupcakes
- Will hold up to fondant
If you’re a fan of Cherry Desserts (of course you are, you’re here!)- Then you MUST also try out our Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe! It has all of the moistness and flavor of this cake recipe, but with the bonus of chocolate chips and Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting!
You can find it here: AMAZING Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake
Looking for our fantastic Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting? Follow the link!Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting
**Make sure to check out our full collection of favorite cake, frosting, and filling recipes in our Recipes Section!
You can also find beautiful and creative cake decorating techniques in our Free Cake Tutorials Section!
If you’re looking for more fruity Summertime Cake Recipes, don’t miss our Roundup of favorites! Summertime Cake Roundup
Thanks for stopping by! If you try our Cherry Cake recipe, make sure to let us know what you think in the comments below!