Calling all lemon lovers! You are going to fall in love with this DELICIOUS Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream Recipe.
It is the perfect lemony, light and flavorful complement to white, yellow, citrus, and even coconut cakes!
I love cream cheese frostings and this recipe is no exception. In fact, of all of the cream cheese frosting variations that I’ve made over the years, this Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream recipe is one of my all time favorites!
I love the silky smooth consistency and it has the perfect amount of lemon.
Even better, this Lemon Cream Cheese buttercream it is SO simple to make. We especially love it with our homemade Lemon Cake Recipe.
Whenever we make a bowl of this amazing lemony cream cheese deliciousness, it’s a struggle not to eat it by the spoonful! In fact, I would highly recommend doing just that.
How to Make Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
This frosting is incredibly easy to put together, so you have no excuse not to make it! ;0)
- First, cut the butter into smaller slices and add to the bowl of your mixer. It should be slightly softened.
- Next, slice the slightly softened cream cheese into smaller pieces and add to the butter, mixing until blended.
- Next comes the lemon juice and lemon extract. The lemon extract is optional but I really like the boost of flavor that it adds.
- Finally, add your powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Cakes and cupcakes frosted with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting should be refrigerated.
Tips for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cheese frostings are a softer consistency than other buttercream frostings.
- If you need a thicker consistency, you can add additional powdered sugar in small amounts until you reach the desired consistency.
- If your Cream Cheese Buttercream becomes increasingly soft as you pipe, to the point that it no longer holds it’s shape, just pop it in the refrigerator for a minute.
This could be caused by a super warm kitchen, or warm hands against the piping bag. Either way, a few minutes in the fridge will work wonders. (Just not too long or it’ll become too firm!)
More Lemon Recipes to Try
Or, if you are looking for a Lemon Frosting recipe that is less perishable, this Lemon Buttercream Frosting recipe has wonderful lemon flavor and can safely be kept at room temperature for a day or two! We love how easily it pipes!
If you Love Cream Cheese Frostings, Don’t Miss our Roundup of Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting & Filling Recipes!
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, slightly softened but still cool to the touch
- 2 8oz packages Cream Cheese (453 total gram weight) Use full fat cream cheese. Do not use reduced fat or cream cheese in the tub containers. Soften very slightly
- 2 teaspoons (8g) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (4g) lemon extract, optional
- Zest from 1 lemon, approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons (3g)
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups (690g - 747g) powdered sugar, adding more if necessary
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch slices and add to the bowl of your mixer, beat until smooth.
- Cut the cream cheese into pieces and add to the butter, beating until blended.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. 1 teaspoon lemon extract, optional for a stronger lemon flavor.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until well blended.
This frosting will pipe best if used while still chilled. You can make it in advance, refrigerate and when ready to use let it soften slightly and remix. Do not microwave to soften.
Will frost a 3 layer 8 or 9 inch cake.
Sharing our Best Recipes & cake Tutorials!
*Don’t miss our full collection of favorite tried and true recipes for cakes, frostings, and fillings in our Recipes Section! If you’re interested in simple and creative free step by step cake tutorials, we’d love for you to check out our Free Tutorials Section.
Finally, if you are interested in having full online access to our entire video tutorial section, you should consider becoming a member of My Cake School! Find out all of the details here: Membership Info for MyCakeSchool.com