This Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream Recipe is a perfectly light and flavorful compliment to white, yellow, and citrus cakes! We especially love it with our homemade Lemon Cake Recipe, and whenever we make a bowl of this amazing lemony cream cheese deliciousness, it’s a struggle not to eat it by the spoonful! Mmmmmmm…
Use this Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream to frost or fill your cakes & cupcakes! It pipes best when chilled and holds it’s shape nicely. Enjoy!
Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, slightly softened but still cool to the touch
- 2 8oz packages Cream Cheese (453 total gram weight) do not soften
- 2 teaspoons (8g) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (4g) lemon extract, optional
- zest from 1 lemon, approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons (3g)
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups (690g - 747g) powdered sugar, adding more if necessary
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch slices and add to the bowl of your mixer, beat until smooth.
- Cut the cream cheese into pieces and add to the butter, beating until blended.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. 1 teaspoon lemon extract, optional for a stronger lemon flavor.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until well blended.
- This frosting will pipe best if used while still chilled. You can make it in advance, refrigerate and when ready to use let it soften slightly (do not microwave) and remix.
- Will frost a 3 layer 8 or 9 inch cake.