Calling all lemon lovers! You are going to fall in love with this DELICIOUS Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream Recipe. It is the perfect lemony, light and flavorful complement to white, yellow, citrus, and even coconut cakes!
I love cream cheese frostings and this recipe is no exception. In fact, of all of the cream cheese frosting variations that I’ve made over the years, this Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream recipe is one of my all time favorites! I love the silky smooth consistency and it has the perfect amount of lemon.
Even better, this Lemon Cream Cheese buttercream it is SO simple to make. We especially love it with our homemade Lemon Cake Recipe.
Whenever we make a bowl of this amazing lemony cream cheese deliciousness, it’s a struggle not to eat it by the spoonful! In fact, I would highly recommend doing just that. Mmmmmmm… just look!
You will love this Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream for frosting and filling your cakes and cupcakes. It is fairly soft at room temperature and so it pipes best when slightly chilled.
Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, slightly softened but still cool to the touch
- 2 8oz packages Cream Cheese (453 total gram weight) Use full fat cream cheese. Do not use reduced fat or cream cheese in the tub containers. Soften very slightly
- 2 teaspoons (8g) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (4g) lemon extract, optional
- zest from 1 lemon, approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons (3g)
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups (690g - 747g) powdered sugar, adding more if necessary
- Cut butter into 1/2 inch slices and add to the bowl of your mixer, beat until smooth.
- Cut the cream cheese into pieces and add to the butter, beating until blended.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. 1 teaspoon lemon extract, optional for a stronger lemon flavor.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until well blended.
- This frosting will pipe best if used while still chilled. You can make it in advance, refrigerate and when ready to use let it soften slightly and remix. Do not microwave to soften.
- Will frost a 3 layer 8 or 9 inch cake.
We hope that you enjoy it!
**Don’t miss our full collection of favorite tried and true recipes for cakes, frostings, and fillings in our Recipes Section! If you’re interested in simple and creative free step by step cake tutorials, we’d love for you to check out our Free Tutorials Section.
Finally, if you are interested in having full online access to our entire video tutorial section, you should consider becoming a member of My Cake School! Find out all of the details here: Membership Info for MyCakeSchool.com