This classic Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe is the only chocolate buttercream recipe that you will ever need. It tastes completely amazing, pipes beautifully, and has been our go-to chocolate buttercream for years!
You are going to LOVE how simple this chocolate frosting is to put together. Throw that canned chocolate frosting in the trash, it won’t taste good to you anymore!
This Classic Chocolate Buttercream is silky smooth, has a fantastic chocolate flavor, and it is the perfect complement to SO many flavors of cakes and cupcakes! We love it as a filling or frosting for our scratch Classic Chocolate Cake, Marble Cake, Yellow Cake, and swirled or injected into cupcakes! I could go on and on.
Like most American buttercreams, this chocolate frosting develops a slight crust. You can reduce the amount of sugar to 5 cups (675 g confectioner’s sugar) for a softer frosting.
This Chocolate Frosting recipe should give you a nice medium consistency, making it perfect for piping, but you can easily alter it to your liking! You’ll have a bit of wiggle room when it comes to the amount of sugar and liquid. For a thicker frosting, mix in more confectioners sugar. For a softer frosting, add a bit more milk.
Classic Chocolate Buttercream
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, softened (do not soften butter in the microwave)
- 6 c. confectioners sugar (icing sugar) (690) grams) or more if needed. ** For cupcakes, I like to use 5 c. (675g) for a softer frosting
- 1 c. cocoa, sifted (86 grams) measure then sift
- 1/3 c. milk (75 grams) more if needed to reach the spreading consistency you like
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (8 grams)
- Add butter and beat for approxiamtely 1 min. on medium speed. Add vanilla and blend into the butter. Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add most of the milk. Begin beating at low speed so you won't have a cloud of powdered sugar in your kitchen. Beat at medium speed 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and beat an additional two to three minutes, adding remaining milk as needed.
- This is my favorite chocolate frosting! Recipe can easily be doubled or halved.
- This recipe makes approximately 4 cups of frosting.
- **Pictured is our chocolate buttercream frosting which I combed around the sides and ruffled the top with a Wilton 104 tip. The cake is our "Classic Chocolate Cake", a scratch recipe in our Recipes section.
We have a couple of other delicious chocolate frostings in our recipes section! Our Fluffy Chocolate Buttercream recipe is similar to this one, as it is a crusting recipe which is great for piping. The difference is that it contains shortening, which makes it more heat resistant.
It’s always nice to have a heat friendly option for those hot summer days. Just remember that no frosting is 100 percent heat-proof. Shortening based frostings will hang in there for a bit longer though! You can find the recipe here: Fluffy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
Next, if you are looking for something even more rich, you will also love our Chocolate Ganache Frosting in the Recipes section! If you’ve never tried ganache, it is a decadent mixture of chocolate and cream. Hop on over for the details!
That’s all for now! Don’t you just want to dive into a bowl of chocolate buttercream? Ahhhhh….so good. We think that you’ll love this Classic Chocolate Frosting!
Make sure to check out our full collection of favorite tried and true cake and frosting recipes in our Recipes Section! Thanks for stopping by!