This classic Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe is the only chocolate buttercream recipe that you will ever need. It tastes completely amazing, pipes beautifully, and has been our go-to chocolate buttercream for years!
You will love it’s flavor, silky smoothness, and the fact that it is the perfect compliment to so many cakes and cupcakes! We love it as a filling or frosting for our Classic Chocolate Cake, Marbled Cake, White Cake, and swirled or injected into our most favorite cupcakes!
Like most American buttercreams, this frosting develops a slight crust. You can reduce the amount of sugar to 5 cups (675 g confectioner’s sugar) for a softer frosting.
As with most frosting recipes, you’ll have a bit of wiggle room when it comes to the amount of sugar and liquid. For a thicker frosting, blend in more confectioners sugar. For a softer frosting, add a bit more liquid.
Classic Chocolate Buttercream
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, softened (do not soften butter in the microwave)
- 6 c. confectioners sugar (icing sugar) (690) grams) or more if needed. ** For cupcakes, I like to use 5 c. (675g) for a softer frosting
- 1 c. cocoa, sifted (86 grams) measure then sift
- 1/3 c. milk (75 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (8 grams)
- Add butter and beat for approxiamtely 1 min. on medium speed. Add vanilla and blend into the butter. Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add most of the milk. Begin beating at low speed so you won't have a cloud of powdered sugar in your kitchen. Beat at medium speed 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and beat an additional two to three minutes, adding remaining milk as needed.
- This is my favorite chocolate frosting! Recipe can easily be doubled or halved.
- This recipe makes approximately 4 cups of frosting.
- **Pictured is our chocolate buttercream frosting which I combed around the sides and ruffled the top with a Wilton 104 tip. The cake is our "Classic Chocolate Cake", a scratch recipe in our Recipes section.