Cute Bunny Cake-Video Tutorial
Today we're excited to share a sweet Bunny Cake video tutorial that is as simple as it is cute. If you've scrolled through our springtime tutorials, you may have noticed that we love bunny themes!
Table of Contents
How to make a cute bunny cake for easter and spring gatherings
- I'm going to share a couple of fun cake decorating techniques in this video tutorial. First, you'll learn how to make a simple double barrel cake construction.
If you're not familiar with this, a double barrel cake is a tall cake that is divided halfway up with a cake board and supports. It's the same idea as a tiered cake, only both tiers are the same size and are frosted as one.
Of course this design could work with a standard sized tier also!
- Next, we covered the cake in short buttercream grass piping for a unique textured look! The star of the show our sweet fondant bunny cut-out. With our template, this decoration could not be simpler, and it's just too cute!
We added a few additional accents to our bunny with buttercream piping, an edible ink pen, a little pink petal dust here and there, and a sweet bow!
This bunny cake is perfect for springtime or Easter gatherings. I think it could make a precious baby shower cake too no matter what time of year! We hope that you enjoy the video!
Here's a link to our fondant Bunny Template!
Favorite Cake Recipes for Easter and Spring Celebrations
If you've stumbled upon this easy Bunny Cake Tutorial, you may also be searching for some delicious Easter Cake Recipes too! Here are just a few of our favorites for spring and summer-- light, fruity, and delicious! For the full round up our favorite cakes for spring, click here!: Favorite Cakes for Spring and Summer
- Coconut Lemon Cake (Have you noticed that we love lemon?)
A few additional Notes for this Sweet Bunny Cake...
In this tutorial, we use our Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe. Any crusting vanilla buttercream will do!
**As I mentioned in our video, piping buttercream grass over an entire cake looks SO cute but it takes time. I don't want you to hate me for this! Ha! So in case you missed it, just know that this double barrel 6 inch cake took 40 minutes for me to cover in grass.
I love the look and the texture that the all-over buttercream grass adds, but if I had been in a time crunch, I definitely would have either just quickly twirled my cake on a turntable and added horizontal ridges with my spatula, or kept it smooth. There are endless quick and easy options to add easy texture to buttercream!
- Template for Bunny
- Four 6 inch Cake Layers
- Piping Tips Wilton 233 Ateco 133, Round tip 2, Round tip 12 for tail, Tip 2
- Piping Gel (for attaching bow)
- Coloring Gels We used a combination of Americolor Avocado Green and Mint Green, Deep pink (nose)
- Buttercream We used our Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream
- Cake Boards and Supports For double barrel construction. We used 2 boards and 4 bubble tea straw supports
- Miscellaneous: Parchment paper, jelly beans, small paint brushes, pink petal dust, Food coloring pen for eye
- Crumb coat cake with green buttercream
- Chill until frosting is firm and move to the final cake base or pedestal.
- Cover the tier in short buttercream grass.
- Knead a bit of tylose into fondant for the bunny. Roll to about ⅛ inch thickness. Using the template, cut out two bunnies and allow to dry on parchment.
- Allow to set up until it can be easily picked up and placed on the cake. (I waited approx 30 minutes.)
- Draw eye onto bunny with a black food coloring pen and apply pink to the cheek and ear with pink petal dust.
- Apply buttercream to the back of the fondant bunny and secure to the front of the cake.
- Add a tiny bead border outline to the bunny (optional) and dots for accents.
- Add fluffy tail with a tip 12
- Add jelly beans to pedestal (I secured mine with a little buttercream.)
Don't miss our other Sweet Bunny and Easter Themed Cake Tutorials!
Looking for more bunny cuteness? We have several sweet and simple bunny themed cake tutorials! Here are a couple of favorites:
Learn to make a 3D bunny cake in this free tutorial!: Sweet Bunny Cake
Here's another favorite from our blog: Springtime Bunnies Cake Tutorial!
We Have More Cute Easter Cakes to Share!
Find even more Easter cuteness in our Roundup of the CUTEST Easter & Springtime Cakes, Tutorials, and Recipes!