Love lemon? You are going to fall in love with this homemade Lemon Curd Filling Recipe! It has a wonderfully smooth consistency and flavor with just the perfect amount of lemon. We pair it with our Lemon Cake, as a filling in cupcakes, and even with White or coconut cakes! I promise, you are going to want to eat it straight from the bowl! ;0)
Also, if you are looking for a great lemon frosting to go along with this amazing lemon curd filling, our Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is perfect! Enjoy!
Lemon Curd Filling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespooon grated lemon zest
- 4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat. Pour in water. Stir constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil (3-4 minutes). Boil, stirring, for 1 minute more.. Remove the pan from the heat. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into a small bowl with egg yolks and stir quickly until combined. Continue stirring, while turning the egg mixture into the saucepnan. Return pan to medium heat and cook, stirring, until the curd is thickened and lemon colored (1-2 min). Remove from heat and stir in the butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest.-- Cool.
- * This will fill a two layer 8 or 9 inch cake with some leftover. The recipe can be halved.
- * I have refrigerated the lemon curd for a week and it was fine....I'm not sure how long it will keep beyond that
- Makes 1 1/4 cups