Using Tequila in Buttercream
I have to admit that I was a little skeptical at first about how adding tequila to buttercream would go over. I didn't know if there would be enough tequila flavor to be noticeable...and for that matter, if it would be any good!
As it turns out, the tequila-lime combo works perfectly when combined with buttercream, and is just what our Margarita Cake needed!
How Much Tequila Should You Use in the Buttercream?
Margarita Cakes Taste Amazing with tequila Lime Buttercream!
This recipe tastes amazing as a filling and frosting for our Margarita Cake recipes!
We have a fantastic Scratch Margarita Cake as well as a Margarita Cake that starts with a Cake Mix. Make sure to try them both, they are perfect for summer celebrations!
We have more "Boozy" Cake Recipes for You to Try!
In addition to the margarita cakes we've mentioned, don't miss these fun & boozy party cake recipes to make your celebrations even more special!
Champagne and Strawberries Cake
Enjoy the Recipe
Thanks so much for stopping by! We hope that you give this Tequila Lime Buttercream a try. If you do, we'd love for you to leave a comment and photo below!
Tequila Lime Buttercream
This delicious and easy Tequila Lime Buttercream has so much flavor! We love it with our Margarita Cake recipes!
- 2 cups (4 sticks) (453g) unsalted butter, softened
- 10 to 12 cups (1150g to 1380g) powdered sugar (measure by lightly spooning to a cup, then sift. I used 12 cups.)
- 1 teaspoon (6g) salt
- 4 Tablespoon (49g) lime juice (2 small limes)
- 3 Tablespoons (37g) tequila
- 2 teaspoons (11g) milk - milk is optional, you could also use lime juice or tequila
- Coloring Gel- Optional - (Americolor Electric Green or similar shade)
- Cream the softened butter until smooth. Add the salt and slowly add the powdered sugar until mixed with the butter.
- Add the lime juice, tequila and milk. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and mix an additional 3 minutes on slow speed until creamy.
Hi Melisa Diamond. I would love to join you to learn how to bake cakes and decorate them. You are such an inspiration my dear. I have looked for a school where I can learn all these but I found your online cake school. I don't know how to pay for 1 year lessons as I am in Botswana in Africa. I don't have a credit card.
Thank you! Was the perfect addition for a gin tonic drizzle cake recipe I found! I quartered the ingredients for my small cake and used only 200g sugar & a tiny bit more gin (instead of tequila) & lime juice. Very tasty ?