We are excited to add this amazing new homemade recipe for White Cake from scratch to our Recipes section. It is delicious, very moist, has great flavor, and holds up well to fondant. This has become a new favorite for us!
This recipe calls for the Reverse Creaming Method of Mixing. With this mixing method, ingredients are added in a different order than with the conventional (aka creaming) method of mixing. The results are a slightly denser cake with a finer crumb and a more velvety texture.
If you are unfamiliar with the Reverse Creaming Method of mixing and would like to learn more, you can find our link to a free to tutorial on the technique beneath the recipe!
White Cake Recipe (New Version)
- 1 3/4 cups (350g) sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (285g) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (6g) salt
- 1Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (19 g) baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla
- 1 cup (242g) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (72g) vegetable oil
- 10 Tablespoons (1 stick + 2T ) (141g) unsalted butter, slightly softened (do not microwave) I cut the butter into 1/2 inch slices onto waxed paper a short while before I need it. Mine is on the wax paper only 6 -7 minutes. It should still feel cold to the touch. If it becomes too soft, refrigerate for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Grease and flour two 8 x 2 inch round cake pans
- In the bowl of your mixer add the dry ingredients, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk for at least 30 seconds so the ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg whites, buttermilk, vanilla and oil. Stir with a fork to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the slices of butter a few pieces at a time to the dry ingredients. Increase the mixer to medium speed and beat until the dry ingredients look crumbly and moistened by the butter. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, SLOWLY add 1/2 of the egg mixture, increase to medium speed and mix for 1 1/2 minutes, the batter will become thick and fluffy. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 pourings beating for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans 10 minutes, then turn out.
- 6 cups of batter
*This recipe works well for cupcakes also, but as with most scratch recipes on our site, there is very little dome.
*For a few years, we had another White Cake Recipe on our site which is also very good, and was given to us by one of our members. While this updated version of White Cake is our new go-to recipe, some of you still may be attached to our older recipe. You can find it by clicking here.
**For more information on the Reverse Creaming Method of Mixing, check out our post and video tutorial on the method! Reverse Creaming Method of Mixing.