Today we're sharing a delicious Maple Cream Cheese frosting that is so silky smooth and flavorful, you'll want to put it on everything!
We love this Maple Cream Cheese Frosting with our fall cakes and spice cakes, including our Apple Walnut Cake recipe!
how soft is maple cream cheese frosting?
Cream cheese frostings are softer than most buttercream frosting recipes. We've always forgiving this little flaw because we just love cream cheese frosting so much!
If you notice that your maple cream cheese frosting is too soft, you can add a bit more confectioners sugar (just as we do to thicken up American buttercreams). However, the culprit is often the temperature of the frosting. If you suspect that this is the issue, just go ahead and chill it for a bit.
I like to chill my cream cheese frosting for a few minutes before applying the frosting or doing any piping. The piping should hold it’s shape and so if it is too loose, chill it more (or add a little more confectioners sugar--or both!)
*If you notice that your frosting is softening really quickly as you are piping, it could be that your warm hands are melting it! If this is your issue, simply prepare two piping bags and alternate between the two (either refrigerating one or resting it on a bag of ice).
MAPLE Buttercream FROSTING
Although we absolutely love this Maple Cream Cheese Frosting, sometimes you may need a frosting that can sit out at room temperature for longer. This Maple Buttercream frosting (as used in our Maple Pecan Cake) is a wonderful option!
WE HAVE MORE FAVORITE FALL CAKES FOR YOU TO share!
We have several layer cakes that we just love for fall celebrations- everything from pumpkin cakes to caramel cakes, carrot cake, gingerbread cakes, and more.
Whether you are celebrating a fall birthday or need something to bring to Thanksgiving dinner, you just can't go wrong with any of these delicious options! Here are a few of our favorites, but don't miss our full roundup of fall cake recipes here: Sharing the BEST Cakes for Fall!
SHARING THE BEST CAKE RECIPES AND CAKE DECORATING TUTORIALS
Thanks so much for stopping by! If you try this Maple Cream Cheese Recipe we would love for you to leave a comment below.
For even more fantastic Cake Recipes, hop over to our Cake Recipes Section for our tried and true cake and frosting recipes!
If you are interested in having full online access to every cake decorating video tutorial that we’ve made, we’d love to have you as a member of My Cake School!
We have cake tutorials for all skill levels of cake decorating. You can find all of the details here: Learn How to Decorate Cakes with My Cake School!- Joining Information. We would love to have you!
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 2 8oz packages cream cheese (453 total gram weight) softened very slightly. Use full fat cream cheese. Do not use reduced
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 2 teaspoons (8g) maple extract
- 6 to 6 ½ cups (690g to 747g) powdered sugar, adding more if necessary
- Cut the butter into ½ inch slices and add to the bowl of your mixer, mix on medium speed until smooth
- Cut the cream cheese into pieces and add to the butter, mixing on medium speed until well blended.
- Add the maple syrup and maple extract
- Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Do not over mix or beat above medium speed . If beaten too long it will become very soft. If this happens, just put in the refrigerator for a short while to firm it up a bit, then frost the cake.
- This frosting will pipe best if used while chilled. You can make in advance, refrigerate and when ready to use let it soften slightly and remix. Do not microwave to soften.
Will frost a 3 layer 8 or 9 inch cake