Today I’m sharing my favorite recipe for classic chocolate cupcakes from scratch. These cupcakes are super moist, fluffy, and perfectly chocolatey! This recipe can be used for chocolate cake layers also!
If you’ve explored our recipe section, you may be familiar with our favorite Classic Chocolate Cake recipe. This homemade chocolate cake has been one of our most popular cake recipes over the years, and is our go-to when we need a delicious chocolate cake.
Today’s featured classic chocolate cupcake recipe is based on the same delicious chocolate cake recipe, but the mixing method is different. Instead of using the reverse creaming method of mixing as we do when making layers of classic chocolate cake, we use the conventional method of mixing for our cupcakes. This small change makes for fluffier cupcakes!
Although we are focusing on chocolate cupcakes in this post, this recipe works perfectly with Chocolate Cake layers also!
Classic Chocolate Cupcakes from Scratch
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (226g) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (400g) sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (54g) vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 cups (322g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (82g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (don't skip the sifting)
- 2 teaspoons (10g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g) salt
- 1 cup (220g) milk
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (220g) hot coffee, it can be instant or brewed (coffee does need to be hot)
- cupcake liners
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (If making a cake rather than cupcakes, grease and flour three 8 inch cake pans). In a separate bowl, add the flour, sifted cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to blend and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the softened butter on medium speed until light and creamy. Add the oil and vanilla. Gradually add the sugar and mix until light and fluffy, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, mixing after each egg just until the yellow disappears. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Mixing on medium speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. (3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of milk)
- Add the cup of hot coffee at this time. The batter will be very thin. Don't worry this is how it should be.
- Pour into 3 prepared 8 inch pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Check for doneness at 30 min. by putting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean or with only a few drums attached, it is done.
- Makes 9 cups of batter
- FOR CUPCAKES: Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes. The recipe will make 2 dozen plus cupcakes
**If you are looking for a great Doctored Cake Mix recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes, we love this one!: Chocolate Cake (Doctored Cake Mix) Recipe
Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the cupcakes! Wish I had some right now! ;0) xo