Today I’m sharing a deliciously moist scratch Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe from Scratch!
In the past, I’ve always added chocolate chips to my favorite chocolate or white cake recipes to make chocolate chip cake. What is unique & fun about this Chocolate Chip Cake recipe is that we’ve used brown sugar, which really brings in the flavor of a chocolate chip cookie! The cake is moist, delicious, and has just the right amount of chocolate!
We’ve paired this cake with our FAVORITE Classic Chocolate Buttercream and Chocolate Chip Buttercream filling (which is our Classic Vanilla Buttercream + Mini Chips).
Also, this recipe uses the Reverse Creaming Method of mixing. We use this method of mixing for many of our recipes because we find that it gives the cakes a slightly denser, velvety texture.
If you’ve never used this method of mixing before, it is not difficult but it takes a little getting used to because the ingredients are added in a different order than the traditional method. We explain everything in the recipe below, but you may want to give our free video on the Reverse Creaming Method a quick look! Free video: Reverse Creaming Method of Mixing.
Enjoy the recipe!
Chocolate Chip Cake
- Recipe uses the Reverse Creaming Method
- 2 3/4 cup (332 g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (325 g) light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon 3 g) salt
- 10 Tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) (141 g) unsalted butter....slightly softened but still cold to the touch (do not microwave). I cut the butter into 1/2 inch slices onto waxed paper a short while before needed. It should still feel cold to the touch. If it becomes too soft, refrigerate for a few minutes.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup (302 g) buttermilk (low fat or full fat)
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) vanilla
- 1 cup (170 g) mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans
- In the bowl of your mixer add the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Hand whisk for at least 30 seconds so the ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir with a fork to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed gradually add the slices of butter, a few pieces at a time. Increase the mixer to medium speed and beat until the dry ingredients look crumbly and moistened by the butter. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Add 1/2 of the egg mixture, beating at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes, the batter will become thick and fluffy. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 pourings, beating for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
- Let the cake cool in the pans 10 minutes, then turn out.
- Makes 7 cups batter
- Will hold up to fondantThis recipe works well for cupcakes, they will have very little dome.
*If you’d like to learn more about the Reverse Creaming Method of mixing, don’t miss our free video tutorial!:Reverse Creaming Method of Mixing.