** For cupcakes, I like to use 5 c. confectioner’s sugar (675g) for a softer frosting
Classic Chocolate Buttercream
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, softened (do not soften butter in the microwave)
- 6 c. confectioners sugar (icing sugar) (796 grams) ** For cupcakes, I like to use 5 c. (675g) for a softer frosting
- 1 c. cocoa, sifted (86 grams) measure then sift
- 1/3 c. milk (75 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (8 grams)
- Add butter and beat for approxiamtely 1 min. on medium speed. Add vanilla and blend into the butter. Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add most of the milk. Begin beating at low speed so you won't have a cloud of powdered sugar in your kitchen. Beat at medium speed 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and beat an additional two to three minutes, adding remaining milk as needed.
- This is my favorite chocolate frosting! Recipe can easily be doubled or halved.
- This recipe makes approximately 4 cups of frosting.
- **Pictured is our chocolate buttercream frosting which I combed around the sides and ruffled the top with a Wilton 104 tip. The cake is our "Classic Chocolate Cake", a scratch recipe in our Recipes section.