We used this delicious Chocolate Cake Roll recipe in the Yule Log Video Tutorial that we created for our members.
Whether decorated as a yule log cake as in the photo above, or more simply, this is a unique and delicious dessert that will make any occasion feel more special! I love the simplicity of cake rolls, and I especially love that they look like a lot more work than they actually are! This can be our little secret ;0)
For the filling, we often use a light Whipped Cream Filling but really, anything goes!
Chocolate Cake Roll-(from our Yule Log Cake Video)
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar, divided (1/2 cup for egg yolks and 1/4 cup for egg whites)
- 1/2 cup (52g) cake flour
- 1/4 cup (19g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 jelly roll pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, also grease the parchment paper then flour the pan including parchment
- Combine the flour, cocoa and salt , whisk to blend and set aside for later
- Separate your eggs
- Beat the 5 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy
- In another bowl beat the 5 egg whites until you reach soft peak stage. Slowly add the 1/4 cup sugar so you will not deflate your egg whites. Continue beating until you reach stiff peak stage.
- Fold your egg yolk mixture into the egg whites then begin folding in your flour mixture also. I gradually add the flour mixture. Continue folding until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Spread the batter evenly in you prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes or until cake springs back. When the cake comes out of the oven, turn it out onto a clean towel that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off the parchment paper. Roll the cake up in the towel, starting with the short side. Let it cool on a wire rack until room temperature.
- While this is cooling, make your whipped cream.
- Unroll the cooled cake, spread the whipped cream filling and roll up again. Place on a serving platter and and frost with buttercream of your choice.
- (*We demonstrate making this recipe in our video tutorial)