I absolutely LOVE Cream Cheese Frosting, and this Orange Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is amazing. This flavorful, silky smooth recipe is just heavenly as a filling or frosting for cakes and cupcakes that call for a hint of citrus.
Keep this Orange Cream Cheese frosting in mind for yellow or white cake and cupcake recipes that call for something delicious and refreshing. Our favorite cake recipe that calls for this wonderful frosting is our Orange Dreamsicle Cake! You can find a link below.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 sticks (1 cup) (226 g) unsalted butter, let it sit out approximately 10 minutes. It should feel very cool to the touch.
- 2 (8oz) packages cream cheese (total weight 452g) I use full fat cream cheese. Using reduced fat or the spreadable cream cheese will cause the frosting to be too soft. Do not soften the cream cheese.
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) clear vanilla extract (we used clear to keep color lighter)
- 1 teaspoon (4g) orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2g) optional - it will cut the sweetness, popcorn salt is best to use because it is fine and dissolves faster
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups (690g to 747g) powdered sugar
- Orange Coloring Gel (optional) We used a very small amount for tinting.
- Cut the butter into slices and add to the bowl of your mixer. Beat on low to medium speed until the butter is softened and smooth.
- Cut the cold cream cheese into pieces and add to the butter, beating at low to medium speed until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and orange flavorings. Gradually add the powdered sugar beating on low speed until blended. Cover the bowl with a towel to keep down the cloud of powdered sugar.
- Increase mixing speed and beat until fluffy. Don't over beat.
- This frosting will pipe best if used while still chilled. You can make it in advance, refrigerate and when ready to use let it soften slightly (do not microwave) and remix.
- Will frost a 3 layer 8 or 9 inch cake. When decorating our Dreamsicle Cake, we frosted our cake and then when back in with swirls of lightly tinted orange frosting for a pretty effect.
If you love citrus cakes, you are going to fall in love with this amazing Orange Dreamsicle Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting and Orange Cream Filling! This cake tastes exactly like a Dreamsicle. Perfect for summertime (or anytime for that matter.)
Don’t miss out! Hop on over to print a copy (or Pin for later!). Orange Dreamsicle Cake Recipe from Scratch