This Chocolate Cake is fabulous! It is super moist, just like my chocolate scratch cake…but has a lighter, fluffier texture. The secret ingredient in the recipe is a bit of mayonnaise, which makes the cake extra moist! I know it seems a little unusual, but trust me, it makes for a delicious cake.
When making chocolate cupcakes from a mix, this is the one that we use (and everyone loves them!) We hope that you enjoy this quick, easy, and delicious recipe!
***This recipe does not work as well with fondant covered cakes–it is a little too soft for the weight of the fondant.
The cake in the photo above was frosted with our favorite Chocolate Buttercream frosting! We piped the spirals of buttercream with a star tip 21. Enjoy the recipe!
Chocolate Cake~ A Doctored Cake Mix Recipe
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- Ingredients as listed on the box (water, eggs, and oil)
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise (we use full fat Hellman's)
- Sift mix into bowl and add ingredients according to box instructions. Add vanilla, mayo and cocoa.
- Mix all ingredients on medium speed for two minutes, scraping the bowl when necessary.
- Fill your greased/prepped pans. Bake at 325 until cake springs back when touched in the center.
- Don't forget to wrap your warm cakes in plastic wrap and foil, and freeze for extra moist cake.
- MAKES GREAT CUPCAKES