This Strawberry Whipped Cream Cheese Filling is one of our new favorites! The combination of strawberries, freshly whipped cream, and cream cheese is heavenly.
We first used this recipe for our Champagne and Strawberries Cake recipe. We wanted a light filling with amazing strawberry flavor. The cream cheese in the recipe not only adds wonderful flavor, but it also helps to thicken up the consistency a bit.
How to Make Strawberry Whipped Cream Cheese Filling
- To help whip things up a little more quickly, it’s a good idea to chill your whisk attachment (or beaters of a handheld mixer) in the freezer for about ten minutes.
- Next, in a medium sized bowl, add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, strawberry puree and strawberry extract. Strawberry extract is optional, but I love the boost of flavor that it gives to our filling.
- Mix until blended. Slowly add the heavy cream and beat until it’s nice and fluffy! This will take a couple of minutes, and you will be left with a light and luscious strawberry filling that you are going to want to dive right into!
How to use Soft Fillings in Cakes and Cupcakes
- Whenever you use a soft consistency of filling in your cakes, whether whipped cream, lemon curd, or this whipped strawberry cream cheese filling, it’s a good idea to pipe a dam of frosting about 1/4-1/4 inch from the edge of the cake layers.
- This dam of frosting (in our case, it’s usually a medium consistency buttercream but ganache works too) ensures that the filling stays in place and doesn’t ooze out of the sides.
- There’s just nothing more frustrating than assembling your cake layers only to have the filling slide out, and cause bulging or worse!
- When using fillings in cupcakes, I simply load it into a piping bag with the tip snipped away (or a medium sized round tip 12 works too), push it right into the top of the unfrosted cupcake about halfway down, and squeeze for about 2-3 seconds worth of filling.
- Do a practice run on a plate so that you have an idea of how much filling you will be adding! You can see an example of this at around the 3:30 mark of our Hi-Hat Cupcake Video!
A Few Favorite Strawberry Recipes!
Don’t miss these other favorite Strawberry Cake and Frosting recipes from our Recipes Section!
- Strawberry Buttercream Frosting– This flavorful strawberry frosting recipe also pipes perfectly!
- Strawberry Cake from Scratch– Oh so moist and flavorful! We love this homemade strawberry cake!
- Strawberry Cake- A Doctored Cake Mix Recipe- A delicious cake mix recipe that also incorporates strawberries!
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake– Oh so good, and with a dramatic chocolate drip too!
- Strawberry Lemon Cake– Such a refreshing combination of flavors! Perfect for spring & summer!
Thanks for stopping by! Remember that we have tons of our favorite cake and frosting recipes in our Recipes Section! If you’re interested in learning more about cake decorating, we offer lots of great tutorials and in Free Cake Tutorials section (which also includes a free video section)
Or, if you are interested in having access to our entire library of hundreds of online cake decorating video tutorials, you should consider becoming a member of My Cake School! We would love to have you! You can find all of the details here: Joining Information for My Cake School.
- 8 oz (226g) Full Fat Cream Cheese, softened (don't microwave)
- 1 1/2 Cup (156g) Sifted Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup (46g) Strawberry Puree (puree about 5-6 medium strawberries)
- 1 Teaspoon(4g) Strawberry Extract
- 1 cup (232g) heavy cream
Chill the whisk attachment or beaters of a handheld mixer in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
In a medium sized bowl, add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, strawberry puree and strawberry extract. Mix until blended. Slowly add the heavy cream and beat until fluffy- this will take about 2 minutes.
This is a soft filling and so you'll want to pipe a dam of frosting about 1/2 inch from the edge of the cake layers, then spread filling within the dam. Makes about 3 cups.