This Orange Cream Filling Recipe is light and creamy and surprisingly SIMPLE to create. Because it’s made with instant pudding and heavy whipping cream, it has a mousse-like quality and great flavor versatility with the addition of extracts.
For a wonderful lemon cream filling, you can use this recipe but add 1 tsp lemon extract rather than orange. For a fabulous chocolate filling, simply eliminate the extracts from this recipe and substitute instant Chocolate Pudding.
We often refer to these fillings as a mock mousse- they have great flavor and the consistency of a mousse filling, but can be made in minutes!
We used this Orange Cream Filling recipe as the filling in our Orange Dreamsicle Cake Recipe and absolutely loved it. We hope that you enjoy it too!
Orange Cream Filling Recipe
- 1 small box instant Vanilla pudding (3.9 oz/96g) We used Jello- Brand
- 2 c. (464g) heavy cream or whipping cream.
- 1 tsp. (4g) Orange Extract (we used McCormick)
- Combine the pudding mix and heavy cream in a mixing bowl. I prefer to mix with a hand held mixer, but a whisk is just fine too. If using a mixer, start on low speed until well combined. Then, switch to high speed and whip the pudding until thick and fluffy. If mousse is too thick, mix in small amounts of heavy cream to reach desired consistency.
- If mixing by hand, simply whisk rapidly for a couple of minutes or until mixture is nice and thick.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Cakes with this filling should be chilled until close to serving time.