Today I’m going to share an AMAZING Coconut Filling that we used in our Almond Joy Cake. If you love coconut, drop everything and print off a copy of this deliciousness!
We experimented with several different recipes in our search for the perfect coconut filling for our Almond Joy Cake.
This thick coconut filling has such a wonderful flavor and consistency that we knew we had a winner as soon as we tried it!
There is a surprise ingredient in this recipe: marshmallows!
The marshmallow flavor is not noticeable, only the delicious coconut. However, adding melted marshmallows to this recipe was the key to getting the consistency that we were looking for…much like the coconut filling of an Almond Joy or Mounds candy bar.
We hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as we have!
Coconut Filling for Almond Joy Cake
- 1 cup (242g) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (220g) sweetened coconut ( I used Bakers Flake Coconut)
- 1/2 bag (144g) mini marshmallows or 24 large (155g) marshmallows (the large ones can be cut into small pieces for easier melting)
- 1 teaspoon (4g) coconut extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the milk, sugar and marshmallows. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the marshmallows are melted. It is a slow process because you don't want the milk to boil. Use the back of the spoon to press the marshmallow to the side of the pan while stirring to speed things along.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coconut and coconut extract. Allow to cool completely before spreading between the layers. It can be made in advance and refrigerated.
- For our Almond Joy Cake, we filled our three layer cake with this filling and also spread more on top before piling on more coconut.