Kahlua Espresso Buttercream
Today we are sharing a delicious Kahlua Espresso Buttercream which is not only easy to make, but it also tastes amazing with our Chocolate Kahlua Cake as well as any favorite chocolate or coffee flavored cakes!
Kahlua is a popular liqueur that contains rum, sugar, and coffee. The Kahlua and espresso flavors in this buttercream make for a wonderful combination without being overpowering.
This creamy, flavorful Kahlua Espresso Buttercream is easy to make, works perfectly as a filling or frosting, and is the ideal consistency for piping also! We hope that you enjoy it!
Table of Contents
How to Make Kahlula Espresso Buttercream Frosting
As with most of the American Buttercream recipes in our Recipes Section, this combination of butter, confectioners sugar, and flavorings can be whipped up in no time!
*You can find the full, printable recipe further down in this post!
- Simply beat the slightly softened butter on medium speed until smooth. Dissolve espresso granules into 1 teaspoon hot water.
- Add half of the powdered sugar, espresso, and half of the Kahlua. Mix at medium speed until the powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and Kahlua and mix at medium speed another 3 to 6 minutes scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. You will be left with a creamy, dreamy bowl of buttercream deliciousness.
Frosting too thick? Too Thin?
If you want to change the consistency of your frosting, it is very simple to do. If your Kahlua Espresso buttercream is too stiff, simply add a little more Kahlua or milk. If it is too thick, you can add a little more powdered sugar.
Cakes that Would pair well with Kahlua Espresso Buttercream
I'm always going to lean towards chocolate cakes when pairing coffee (or in this cake Kahlua Espresso) flavors of frosting. I just love that combo! My first choice is our Chocolate Kahlua Cake, but here are a few others to keep in mind!
Espresso Cake Layers (from our Tiramisu Cake)
More Fabulous Coffee-Flavored Frostings and Cakes to Try!
If you love this recipe, make sure to check out our other coffee-infused recipes! We have a thing for coffee around here ;0) - Oh and if you love Kahlua recipes as well, you must also try our Tiramisu Cake. SO good!
- 3 sticks (339g) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 8 cups (920g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (110g) Kahlua
- 3 teaspoons instant espresso granules dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water
- Beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Dissolve espresso granules into 1 teaspoon hot water.
- Add half of the powdered sugar, espresso, and half of the Kahlua. Beat at medium speed until the powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and Kahlua and mix at medium speed another 3 to 6 minutes scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
This recipe makes 6 cups of frosting, enough to fill and frost a three layer 8 inch cake with borders.