This Fluffy Chocolate Frosting recipe is a great choice for filling or frosting your cakes and cupcakes! It has a light and fluffy consistency, a delicious chocolate flavor, and pipes beautifully! This is the chocolate version of our Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream which we often refer to our on site.
Because of the shortening in the recipe, this fluffy chocolate frosting is a bit more heat resistant than butter-based frostings. This is especially helpful for summertime gatherings!
There is no such thing as a frosting that will not melt, but it’s nice to have an option that can withstand warmer temperatures a bit better. Plus, it is SO simple to make.
Enjoy the recipe!
Fluffy Chocolate Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened, 113 grams
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening ( 285 grams)
- 7 cups powdered sugar 793 grams
- 1 1/4 c. (86 grams) cocoa powder, loosely fill your measuring cup
- 1/2 c. water or milk (114 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Cream butter and shortening until creamy -- blend in the vanilla. Add powdered sugar, cocoa and most of the water. Mix throughly on medium speed for approximately 6 - 8 minutes until creamy and smooth. Add your remaining water as necessary. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally during the mixing process.
- Recipe can be doubled
- This is a crusting buttercream, and works well with the viva paper towel method of smoothing (if you're going for that super smooth finish).
As long as we’re on the subject chocolate frostings, I have to give a shout to our fantastic Classic Chocolate Buttercream recipe! (This recipe does not contain shortening, tastes wonderful, and also pipes like a dream!)