Oh how I love this Chocolate Sour Cream Cake recipe! It is super easy, amazingly moist, and delicious! Nobody would guess that it started with a cake mix! If you’ve been searching for the perfect doctored cake mix recipe for Chocolate Cake, you just cannot top this one!
This decadent Chocolate Sour Cream Cake not only tastes amazing, but it is versatile also. It works well for chocolate cupcakes, is dense enough to be covered with fondant, and would even hold up to light carving.
Enjoy the recipe, I think you’ll come back to it again and again!
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake - A Doctored Cake Mix Recipe
- ** For a deeper chocolate taste you can add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and replace the water with 1 cup strong brewed or instant coffee.
- 1 Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water (We usually replace the water with 1 cup of hot brewed or instant coffee, it enhances the chocolate flavor.)
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients and stir. In mixing bowl, combine sour cream, water, eggs, & flavorings. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake as at 325 degrees until middle of cake springs back when touched.
- *This also works well for cupcakes!