This decadent Chocolate Sour Cream Cake has a slightly dense and velvety texture which I absolutely love. This is probably why it tastes and looks so much like a scratch chocolate cake recipe. (By the way, you can find our favorite scratch Classic Chocolate Cake linked below!)
If you’ve been searching for the perfect doctored cake mix recipe for Chocolate Cake, you just cannot top this one! I’ve made it countless times and it always gets rave reviews!
This decadent Chocolate Sour Cream Cake not only tastes amazing, but it is versatile also. It has a nice density for holding up to fondant, and can even be used for designs that call for light carving.
Chocolate cupcakes can be made from this recipe also, but if you are looking for a fluffier cupcake with more of a dome, I highly recommend our other tried and true Doctored Chocolate Cake recipe.
Enjoy this Chocolate Sour Cream Cake recipe, I think you’ll come back to it again and again!
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake - A Doctored Cake Mix Recipe
- ** For a deeper chocolate taste you can add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and replace the water with 1 cup hot strong brewed or instant coffee.
- 1 Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water (We usually replace the water with 1 cup of hot brewed or instant coffee, it enhances the chocolate flavor.)
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients and stir. In mixing bowl, combine sour cream, water, eggs, & flavorings. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake as at 325 degrees until middle of cake springs back when touched.
- *This also works well for cupcakes!
Looking for an amazing Chocolate Cake Recipe from scratch? Here is a link to our favorite!: Classic Chocolate Cake from Scratch.
Thanks for stopping by! Make sure to check out our Recipes Section for a full listing of our FAVORITE tried and true cake and frosting recipes!!
If you love this Chocolate Sour Cream Cake, don’t miss it’s sister recipe, the fabulous White Almond Sour Cream Cake (doctored cake mix recipe)! So many cakes to try, so little time! I think that you will love them both!
Thanks for stopping by! Don’t miss our full collection of FAVORITE Cake and Frosting Recipes in our Recipes section!