Orange Spice Cream Cheese Frosting
Did you know that orange and spice make a heavenly flavor combination? It's true... and if you love cream cheese frosting like we do, this just might become your new favorite frosting!
Orange Spice Cream Cheese Frosting is so easy to make, and it perfectly complements spice cakes, pumpkin cakes, and more!
We created this recipe for our Orange Spice Cake (Doctored Cake Mix) Recipe and everyone who tried it not only loved the cake, but fell in love with the frosting too!
Table of Contents
How to Make Orange Spice Cream Cheese Frosting
*You can find the full, printable recipe further down, but here is a quick rundown of how to make this deliciousness!
- Using your mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until well blended and smooth.
- Next, add the flavoring, zest, and spices. (I love the little orange flecks of zest in the frosting!) With the mixer on low speed gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until it is a good piping consistency.
- The orange flavoring that I used in this recipe is optional-- you could simply use additional orange zest.
However, I like the added flavor boost that the extract adds, without adding a lot of additional liquid. Cream cheese frostings are generally softer than buttercream frosting, so we try not to add much additional liquid to the recipe if we can help it!
You can see in the photo below that I also added additional orange zest over the top of the cake as a final touch. I piped the stars and rosettes using a tip 1M.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR WORKING WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- As with most cream cheese frosting, this Orange Spice Cream Cheese Frosting is a softer consistency than your average buttercream recipe.
- How to thicken the consistency of Cream Cheese Frosting: If you need a thicker consistency, you can add additional powdered sugar in small amounts until you reach the desired consistency, however I also recommend chilling the frosting as mentioned below.
- If your Cream Cheese Buttercream becomes increasingly soft as you pipe, to the point that it no longer holds it’s shape, just pop it in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
This softness could be caused by a super warm kitchen, or warm hands against the piping bag. Either way, a few minutes in the fridge will work wonders. (Just remember to check on it every 10-15 minutes if you chill it so that it doesn't become too firm).
Cakes frosted in cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated. Simply remove the cake a couple of hours before serving so that it softens up.
- Does Cream Cheese Frosting need to be refrigerated? Yes. Cream cheese frosting, and cakes frosted with cream cheese frosting should be refrigerated. However, it does become firmer when chilled. You will want to remove from the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving (or using) so that it has time to soften.
Here's all of our Favorite Cream Cheese Frostings in one roundup!
Don't miss our other favorite easy & delicious Cream Cheese Frostings! We've made lots over the years-- you can find them all right here: Roundup of the BEST Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes!
Sharing our Favorite Fall Cake and Frosting Recipes!
If you'd like to scroll through more favorite fall recipes, don't miss our Roundup of Favorite Fall Cakes and Frostings!
Enjoy the Recipe
Thanks so much for stopping by! If you try this Orange Spice Cream Cheese Frosting, make sure to leave a comment or photo below! We would love to hear what you think. Enjoy the recipe!
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) (339g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ packages (339 g) cream cheese (no need to soften to room temp)
- 2 teaspoons (4g) cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1g) nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (2g) *sift if clumpy
- 1 teaspoon orange flavoring (4g)
- 1.5 Tablespoons Orange Zest (adjust to your liking)
- 6 to 6 ½ cups (690g - 748g) more if needed confectioners’ sugar, sifted
Using your mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until well blended.
Add the flavoring, zest, and spices. With the mixer on low speed gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until it is a good piping consistency.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.