Thanksgiving is almost here, and we have an easy & CUTE Turkey Cake Topper tutorial to share with you! This sweet turkey cake is so much fun to make, and is sure to bring smiles to your Thanksgiving celebrations!
In this turkey cake tutorial, we’ll show you how to model a simple & funny turkey body from rice cereal treats and gum paste. Once the bird is placed onto the cake, it’s time for feathers! I love the feathers for the height, color, and texture that they add to this design.
You could easily create gum paste feathers (with anchors attached) to insert behind the turkey, but we decided to use candy coating!
I love candy coating cake decorations because they can be made so quickly! There’s no need to add anchors to these chocolate feathers, you’ll just need to make them a little longer, keeping in mind that part of each feather will be pushed into the cake.
We have made many turkey themed cakes and sweets over the years, so make sure to also check out some of our favorites!:
- Easy Turkey Cake
- Chocolate & Almond Turkey Cupcakes
- Turkey Cake Topper
- Turkey Cake with Candy Feathers
- Turkey & Cornucopia Cupcakes
Don’t miss our collection of FAVORITE Thanksgiving cakes, tutorials, and inspiration in our Thanksgiving and Fall Roundup!
Also, if you are interested in learning even more about cake decorating, check out our Free Cake Tutorials and Recipes sections! If you’d like to have full access to every cake decorating video tutorial that we’ve made, you should consider becoming a member of My Cake School! We would love to have you. You can find all of the details here: Joining information for MyCakeSchool.com
- 1 22g. Rice Cereal Treat bar
- 2 sugar pearls (eyes)
- fondant or gum paste (*if using fondant, I like to knead in a little tylose powder to firm it up.)
- Coloring Gel: Americolor Chocolate Brown, Red Red, Lemon Yellow, Black
- Candy Coating in Red, Yellow, & Orange OR White Candy Coating with oil based colors for tinting.
- Food Coloring Pen (for eyes)
- Parchment or Waxed Paper
- Lollipop Stick (we used a long size)
- Piping Gel or edible adhesive of choice
- Miscellaneous: Parchment or Waxed Paper lined cookie sheet, disposable piping bags, turntable (optional but helpful), bench scraper/spatula for frosting, small paintbrushes
- Cake (we decorated an 8 inch, buttercream frosted cake)
- Mold rice cereal treat (22g) into egg shape, coat with a thin coating of vegetable shortening, and cover in brown gum paste.
- Drive long lollipop stick through the cereal treat. Roll ball of gum paste for head, create hole in the bottom with lollipop stick, and allow to set as you work on the rest of the turkey.
- Wrap brown gum paste around the top of the lollipop stick to create a neck. Allow space for the head. Add the head, and attach eyes, etc. with piping gel.
- Add top hat made from black gum paste or fondant.
- Melt candy melts or candy coating (red, yellow, and orange), and create chocolate feathers. Also, pipe turkey feet & legs using yellow candy coating.
- Frost your cake. (We used a three layer 8 inch gingerbread cake, frosted with cinnamon buttercream (we added cinnamon to our classic vanilla buttercream recipe).
- Insert turkey body into the frosted cake. Push in *chilled* candy coating feathers.