Every fall I crave apple spice cakes– and this year is no different! I think that you will love this moist and delicious Caramel Apple Spice Cake recipe too- a winning combination of apples, cinnamon, caramel & all-around coziness!
Caramel Apple Spice Cake
- 1/2 cup (1stick) (113 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (107 g) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons (6 g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (252 g) applesauce (unsweetened)
- 3 cups (342 g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon ( 9 g) cinnamon
- 2 cups (250 g) grated apples, peeled before grating. I used Granny Smith (3 large apples or 4 medium) ( I used the large holes on a box grater
- 1 cup (100 g) chopped pecans or walnuts
- Zest of 1 small lemon (optional)
- 1 Jar of Caramel Sauce/topping for spreading on layers and drizzling
- Cream Cheese Frosting (or your filling/frosting of choice. see our Recipes section!)
- *Makes approximately 6 1/2 cups of batter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour three 8 inch pans A WAXED PAPER circle should be put in the bottom of each pan (grease and flour also) there tends to be more of a sticking problem when recipes have fruit.
- Cream the butter, add oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and applesauce. Mix well.
- Put the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to blend.
- Fold in the grated apples, lemon zest and nuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes then turn out.
- As I assembled my cake layers, I added another layer of flavor with a very thinly spread coating of caramel. I used store bought. I spread the top of each layer with a very thin layer before spreading my cream cheese filling. After assembling, I frosted the cake with cream cheese frosting and drizzled with additional caramel sauce. *I have also made this cake as a bundt cake, and as cupcakes with great results!
*You can find the Cream Cheese Frosting recipe used for this cake HERE!