Chocolate Sour Cream Cake (Much like the White Almond Sour Cream Cake)
This cake has a nice mild chocolate flavor, and is dense enough to work well with carved cakes. However, if you have a lot of intricate carving to do, the “Durable Recipe” in the Recipe section is probably the best bet. Enjoy!
Chocolate Sour Cream Cake - A Doctored Cake Mix Recipe
- ** For a deeper chocolate taste you can add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and replace the water with 1 cup strong brewed or instant coffee.
- 1 Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water (We usually replace the water with 1 cup brewed or instant coffee, it enhances the chocolate flavor.)
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients and stir. In mixing bowl, combine sour cream, water, eggs, & flavorings. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake as at 325 degrees until middle of cake springs back when touched.
- *This also works well for cupcakes!