Nobody would guess that this moist and delicious Pumpkin Spice Cake starts from a mix! This flavorful cake (and cupcake) recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving and fall gatherings, but we love it year-round!
Pumpkin Spice Cake- Doctored Mix
- 1 Package Yellow Cake Mix ( I use Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow)
- 1/2 c. Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1 can pumpkin (Not pumpkin pie filling). We use Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin--15 oz. can (425 grams)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- (I've used chopped pecans and also mini chocolate chips in the past as add-ins for this batter.)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan, or two 8 or 9 inch cake pans . (Batter makes for great cupcakes too!)
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, pumpkin, water, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and eggs. Beat until well blended. Transfer to the cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 min. or until it springs back to the touch.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.