I have to admit that I was a little skeptical at first about how adding tequila to buttercream would go over. I didn’t know if there would be enough tequila flavor to be noticeable…and for that matter, if it would be any good!
As it turns out, the tequila-lime combo works perfectly when combined with buttercream, and is just what our Margarita Cake needed!
Tequila Lime Buttercream
- 2 cups (4 sticks) (226g) unsalted butter, softened
- 10 to 12 cups (1150g to 1380g) powdered sugar (measure by lightly spooning to a cup, then sift. I used 12 cups.)
- 1 teaspoon (6g) salt
- 4 Tablespoon (49g) lime juice (2 small limes)
- 3 Tablespoons (37g) tequila
- 2 teaspoons (11g) milk - milk is optional, you could also use lime juice or tequila
- Cream the softened butter until smooth. Add the salt and slowly add the powdered sugar until mixed with the butter.
- Add the lime juice, tequila and milk. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and mix an additional 3 minutes on slow speed until creamy.
Don’t forget to check out our homemade Margarita Cake recipe! It’s SO moist and flavorful and tastes fantastic with this Tequila Lime Buttercream. Hop over for the recipe!: Margarita Cake from Scratch
Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy the recipe!