This simple Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is deliciously flavorful and pairs wonderfully with Pumpkin Spice and Gingerbread cakes and cupcakes! This frosting makes a great filling, frosting, and pipes beautifully.
Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) (226g) unsalted butter, softened (do not soften in microwave)
- 3 (8 ounces) (226g) per package full fat cream cheese, (total 678g) cut into 1 inch pieces and softened.....do not use reduced fat cream cheese or cream in tub containers (do not soften in microwave)
- 3 cups (343g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons (4g) Pumpkin Pie Spice * (we list substitution below)
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla extract
- Put the softened butter in the bowl of your mixer and mix until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin spice. Beat on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes (longer if using a hand mixer) until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl midway through.
- Add the pieces of softened cream cheese to the mixing bowl. The cream cheese should be soft enough that it combines easily into the butter/powdered sugar mixture. Beat on low/medium speed about 1 minute or until the cream cheese is blended in.
- Makes 6 cups
- Use immediately or refrigerate. If you have beaten too long and it is too soft to pipe, just refrigerate a while and let it firm up.
- **No pumpkin spice? You can use2 teaspoons (4g) cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon (1g) nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground ginger (2g) *sift if clumpy