I LOVE cake recipes that incorporate fruit for an added boost of flavor, texture, and moistness. This classic scratch Hummingbird Cake recipe has it all- banana, crushed pineapple, pecans, and a hint of cinnamon for a dessert that is sure to earn a place in your file of favorite recipes.
Oh, and of course, every good Hummingbird Cake should be dressed in the most delicious Cream Cheese Frosting! You can find the Cream Cheese Frosting used in this recipe here: Cream Cheese Frosting- Pipeable Recipe. We found this Cream Cheese Frosting to be every bit as delicious as our usual, but it holds up to piping even better, and we loved the creamier consistency.
This has been our go-to Hummingbird Cake recipe for years, and it is based on a Hummingbird Cake recipe that first appeared in the Southern Living Magazine in the 70’s. There are many, many similar recipes floating around but they all share the same wonderful flavors of banana, pineapple, and cinnamon.
We hope that you love this Hummingbird cake recipe as much as we do! It’s a trusted southern classic, right up there with Italian Cream Cake and homemade Red Velvet! I wish I had a slice right now. Enjoy!
Hummingbird Cake Recipe from Scratch
- 3 cups (363g) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (3g) ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (215g) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6g) vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounce) (227g) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup (100g) chopped pecans
- 1 3/4 cup (392g) mashed ripe bananas (4 large)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, Grease and flour three 8 inch pans.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add eggs and oil, stirring until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not beat the mixture. Add the vanilla, pineapple, pecans, bananas and stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into three 8 inch greased and floured cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes and remove from pans.
- Makes 6 cups of batter.