You will love this moist and delicious German Chocolate Cake from scratch recipe! This decadent cake has become a tried and true favorite in our family.
Traditionally, German Chocolate Cakes are often filled with their signature coconut & pecan filling, but not frosted around the sides. We decided to change things up & frost our cake with our delicious Classic Chocolate Buttercream!
Frosting the cake not only adds an additional layer of deliciousness and beauty (we’ve piped shells with a 2D piping tip) it also helps to seal in the freshness! The German Chocolate flavor of the cake layers when paired with the coconut and pecan filling is simply heavenly.
You are going to love this classic German Chocolate Cake!
FOR THE GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE LAYERS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour 3 (8 or 9 inch) pan
- 1 pkg. (4 oz) (113 g) Bakers German Sweet Chocolate Bar
- 1/2 cup (118 g) boiling water
- 4 eggs separated
- 1cup (226 g) butter softened
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (285 g) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) vanilla
- 1 cup (242 g) buttermilk
- COCONUT PECAN FILLING/FROSTING
- 1 1/2 cups (171 g) pecans, chopped
- 2 2/3 cup (7 oz) (198 g) flaked coconut
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon (4g) vanilla
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk, (you could also use 1 1/2 cups heavy cream)
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 stick (8 T.) (113 g) butter
- CLASSIC CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING (OPTIONAL)
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted butter, softened (do not soften butter in the microwave)
- 6 c. confectioners sugar (icing sugar) (796 grams) ** For cupcakes, I like to use 5 c. (675g) for a softer frosting
- 1 c. cocoa, sifted (86 grams) measure then sift
- 1/3 c. milk (75 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (8 grams)
For the German Chocolate Cake Layers
- Break the chocolate bar into pieces and place in a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate by pouring 1/2 cup boiling water over the chocolate. Let it sit for 1 to 2 minutes to soften then stir until completely melted. Set Aside.
- Separate the 4 eggs and beat the whites in a small bowl on high speed until stiff peaks form. Set Aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer or hand mixer beat the butter until smooth then add the sugar and beat until fluffy and light ( 2 to 4 minutes) Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and blend.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk beginning and ending with the flour mixture ( 3 additions), beating at medium speed until well blended after each addition.
- Gently fold and stir in the egg whites and pour into the prepared pans
- .Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes then turn out. Cool layers completely and they are ready to fill and frost. To freeze for later use, cover individually with plastic wrap while still warm to the touch and wrap in aluminum foil. Can be frozen for 2 months.
COCONUT/PECAN FILLING INSTRUCTIONS
- Whisk egg yolks, milk and vanilla in a saucepan until blended. Add sugar and butter and cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened, stir constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut and nuts. Allow to cool before spreading on the cake.
- This is enough to fill and frost 3 (8 or 9 inch) layers. It is very rich so it can be used as a fill and on the top layer, leaving the sides unfrosted. For our pictured cake we use as a filling and frosted with chocolate buttercream.
CLASSIC CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
- Add butter and beat for approximately 1 min. on medium speed. Add vanilla and blend into the butter.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add most of the milk.
- Begin beating at low speed so you won’t have a cloud of powdered sugar in your kitchen. Beat at medium speed 1 minute.
- Reduce speed to low and beat an additional two to three minutes, adding remaining milk as needed. Makes approximately 4 cups of frosting.
Make sure to hop over to print out our Classic Chocolate Buttercream Recipe! Find it here: Classic Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.