I found this recipe on CakeCentral.com— I really like it for carving cakes….especially cakes that are tapered at the bottom (Topsy turvy cakes, Pillow Cake, etc.).
* If you are using Betty Crocker or Pillsbury brand cake mix that contain pudding in the mix DO NOT add the additional box of pudding.
*I often double this recipe.
This cake mix recipe is a great one to keep on hand as it is delicious, has a tight crumb, and can be whipped up in no time. The addition of pudding to the recipe as well as sour cream lends a nice texture and makes for a nice, sturdy cake.
This recipe has been popular for years, and I first learned of it on Cake Central. We’ve had great feedback on this cake as well. Enjoy!
- 1 chocolate or Devil's Food cake mix ( I like to use Duncan Hines)
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup, plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small pkg (3.9oz.)(110g.) of instant chocolate pudding mix (just add the powder, do not make pudding)
- 1 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350
Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed.
Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient.
Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes
- I found this recipe on CakeCentral.com--- I really like it for carving cakes....especially cakes that are tapered at the bottom (Topsy turvy cakes, Pillow Cake, etc.).
- If you are using Betty Crocker or Pillsbury brand cake mix that contains pudding in the mix, you do not need to add the additional box of pudding. *I often double this recipe.
MY CAKE SCHOOL ONLINE CAKE RECIPES, TUTORIALS, AND MORE!
Thanks for visiting My Cake School! Make sure to check out our Recipes Section for our full collection the BEST Cake and Frosting Recipes! You can also find our growing collection of Free Cake Tutorials in our Free Tutorials Section!
Also, if you’d like to have access to our entire collection of cake decorating video tutorials, you can find Joining Information here!
We have posted cake decorating tutorials to our site for over 10 years, and we have cake projects and techniques for all skill levels of cake decorating. We would love to have you!