Silky, smooth Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is so simple to make and it tastes AMAZING!
Our recipes section is filled with many favorite cream cheese frosting variations, but somehow we’ve never added a chocolate version. The wait is over- we think you’re going to love this long-overdue addition of Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting! SO good.
Tips for Working with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- We hope that you enjoy this Chocolate Cream Cheese Recipe! As with most cream cheese frosting recipes, the consistency is a bit on the softer side, but it holds up well to piping.
- If it becomes too soft while you are decorating your cake or cupcakes, simply refrigerate for about five minutes or so to firm it up. Or, if you still feel that it is softer than it should be, add a bit more powdered sugar.
- If you are doing a lot of piping and feel that the heat of your hands is melting the frosting in the piping bag, you can make a second bag of the frosting and alternate between the two, chilling one while the other is used.
What Cakes go with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting?
There are SO many cake and cupcake recipes that would be perfect for this recipe….Chocolate Cake, Yellow Cake, Marble Cake and most recently, we made a Chocolate Italian Cream Cake recipe that is FABULOUS when paired with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting!
Check out our Cake Recipes and Cake Tutorials!
Finally, if you are interested in gaining access to the hundreds of cake decorating video tutorials that we’ve made over the years, you should consider becoming a member of My Cake School!
Memberships are only $30/year and will give you online access to every video tutorial that we’ve made (as well as our forums section and gallery). We would love to have you as a member! You can find all of the details here: Joining information for MyCakeSchool.com- Online Cake Decorating Instruction
- 2 sticks (1 cup) (226g) unsalted butter - Let the butter sit out for approximately 10 minutes. It should feel cool to the touch
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla extract
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups (690g to 747g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (20g) cocoa lightly spoon into cup and level
- 2 (8oz) packages cream cheese (total weight 452g) I use full fat cream cheese.
- Cut the butter into slices and add to the bowl of your mixer. Beat on low to medium speed until the butter is softened and smooth.
- Add cocoa and mix until blended.
- Cut the cream cheese into pieces and add to the butter, beating at low to medium speed until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar beating on low speed until blended.
- Increase mixing speed to medium and beat until fluffy, don't over beat. If beaten too long it will become very soft. If this happens, just refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- This frosting will pipe best if used while still very cool. You can make it in advance, refrigerate and when ready to use let it soften slightly (do not microwave) and remix.
- Will frost a 3 layer 8 or 9 inch cake.