I found this recipe on CakeCentral.com— I really like it for carving cakes….especially cakes that are tapered at the bottom (Topsy turvy cakes, Pillow Cake, etc.).
**** If you are using Betty Crocker or Pillsbury brand cake mix that contain pudding in the mix DO NOT add the additional box of pudding.
***I often double this recipe.
Chocolate Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes
- 1 chocolate or Devil’s Food cake mix ( I like to use Duncan Hines cake mix )
- 4 egg whites
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small pkg (3.9oz.)(110g.) of instant chocolate pudding mix (just add the powder, do not make pudding)
1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed.
- Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient.
- Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes